Saturday, January 31, 2015

Crockpot Cabbage Rolls

I'm always making an effort to eat healthier. I kind of float between a paleo and gluten free diet. When we're home it's easy to stick to those guidelines, but I gotta be honest, when I go out that stuff just flies right out the window. Oh well, you only live once. Right? In that case, I don't go out very often and I'm always searching for interesting healthy recipes to make at home.  I guess you could say my healthy home cooking justifies my better diet judgement while I'm out.  So, when I found this recipe for cabbage rolls I was happy it was both paleo and gluten free. 

Peeled, boiled cabbage leaves. 

The filling... Ground pork, ground beef, sautéed onion and riced cauliflower 

Ready to wrap and roll

First layer going into the crockpot with the tomato sauce

Crockpot full and ready for the sauce

Cabbage rolls topped off with remaining sauce

These cabbage rolls turned out great! They were delicious, definitely making these again! So with a little bit of prep work this recipe is pretty easy.  I made the filling first. I took a head of cauliflower and pulsed the florets in my food processor until I got a rice like texture. You want about a cup for the recipe, so I really only used about half a head of cauliflower. Then you take your riced cauliflower and combine with the diced onion and sautée until tender, about 3-5 minutes. While your sautéing the veggies you can make your meat mixture. Mix 1lb ground beef, 1lb ground pork, salt & pepper and then finally add in cooled veggie sautée.  Boil one medium head of cabbage for 15min. Peel cabbage leaves off gently and let cool before wrapping and rolling. For the tomatoe sauce I just used a large can of crushed tomatoes.  
Now you're ready for assembly....
Pour half of tomato sauce into bottom of crop pot
Stuff filling into cabbage leaves and wrap and layer into crock pot
Pour more tomato sauce over first layer and add remaining cabbage rolls
Top with the rest of tomato sauce and cook on low for 5  hours. 



No comments:

Post a Comment